Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Veresov Books

Some time ago a reader asked for advise on (Richter-) Veresov books. Unfortunately there is in my opinion no really good book on the Veresov. The dedicated books that I am aware of are:



A Ferocious Opening Repertoire
Author: Lakdawala
Publisher: Everyman 2011
Cyrus Lakdawala is a good writer. I find his style somewhat chatty but for many subjects that fits very well. Unfortunately he was probably not the right author for this subject. Not because it actually was his brother that used to play the Veresov but because Cyrus (possibly in contrast to his brother Jimmy) doesn't seem very interested in exact variations and tactical complications but prefers to discuss strategy and pawn structures.


My assessment: ****




The Veresov: Surprise Your Opponents with the Tricky 2 Nc3!
Author: Davies
Publisher: Everyman 2003
I may have mentioned this elsewhere in this blog but I must admire Davies for the consistent high quality on his products (including his electronic ones). This too is a quite good book although not terribly ambitious. The author offers some sensible advice on how to select a Veresov repertoire but his analytical input seems relatively modest.
My assessment: ****




Richter-Veresov: the Chameleon Chess Repertoire
Authors: Gufeld and Stetsko
Publisher: Thinkers’ Press 1999
This book is an interesting documentation of a struggle between a publisher who really wants to make a good book and a pair of authors who really want to make some fast bucks. The result is uneven and not really good but there are hidden nuggets of gold. Gufeld was a strong player and when pressed he was able to present good analysis.


My assessment: ***



The Veresov Attack
Authors: Smith/Hall
Publisher: Chess Digest 1994
This book is full of inaccuracies and the publisher has attempted to transform a magazine article to a book by adding lots of white space.






My assessment: **





Queen's Pawn: Veresov System
Author: Bellin
Publisher: Batsford 1983
Bellin is  one of my favorite authors, and I really like this old book which combines good prose with well selected analysis and game fragments. Unfortunately it's now so old that it's mainly a collectors' item.





My assessment: *****




Richter Veresov System
Author: J.Adams
Publisher: The Chess Player 1978
In 1978 - before the time of game databases - this was quite a useful book. It contains a lot of well organized games and game fragments (some of them of rather low quality) and hardly any words or analysis.
It should be added that the cover of my copy looks a bit better.



My assessment: **


Scale:
******: Perfect
*****: Very good
****: Good workmanship
***: Worth the money
**: Only for collectors
*: Stay away!

3 comments:

Phil Adams said...

Hi Sverre

Did you see the 10-page article on the Veresov by Rogozenko in SOS 2?

Sverre Johnsen said...

Hi Phil

Yes I did. Thank you for reminding me.

I will add that article and a few other resources (NiC Yearbooks a.o.) in an update.

Michael Goeller said...

Thanks for the helpful bibliography. I have never seen the Bellin book but will keep an eye out for it.